Sunday, April 30, 2017

The Last Day of National Poetry Month 2017

This has been a great National Poetry Month, with lots of superb works by poets (here, here, here, and here) as well as songwriters in the Poetry of Rock n' Roll series (here, here, here, and here). Let's celebrate the close of this year's Poetry Month with a yearning work by Dorothea Lasky who kicked off last year's National Poetry Month here.

Promised Years
by Dorothea Lasky

I would tell her
Except she wouldn’t care
I’d write him
Except he’d never write me back
There is a rat they left hanging
I’d save it
Except it’s dead
What is the force that swirls me
I asked of the wind
There was no reply
It was beyond me
And I was floating in it
Circles and circles
I’ve seen them throughout my life
I tried to answer them
They bled their mouths on me
Call me call me I begged of the moon
It did not listen
It had left me alone
So many years ago
And as the world collapsed
I mouthed the empty rhetoric of my time period
Call me call me
I begged of the wind


http://www.dorothealasky.com/

No comments: