Wednesday, August 13, 2014

"Babylon" by SZA

I sure do love the music of SZA ("SI-zza"), née Solana Rowe (previously here and here). It is part of a new kind of R&B/ neo-soul that incorporates elements of Chillwave, Ambient, ethereal sounds, Shoegaze, and Witch house (descended from groups on 4AD like Cocteau Twins and Dead Can Dance). She has a new release called "Z" featuring this track, "Babylon." She cites Björk as a major influence, and lets Ella Fitzgerald drift down through her spirit...



I found this video and scheduled this post before the suicide of Robin Williams. Lest anyone think me insensitive, I thought of delaying this post, but then realized that the issue of suicide needs to be addressed. We have such difficulty with death in our culture, let alone suicide. We don't know what to do with either one but so many people's lives are touched by it each day. Regular readers over the years will know that I usually address the anniversary of my father's suicide and mother's death immediately after (which was then followed by the deaths of other family members and then my pets--that was a rough year!). We need a better, more holistic way of looking at death--and of course the conversation about the very real illness of depression and suicide is a huge and separate subject...

I don't think SZA was being flip or glib with the subject of this video (listen to the rather serious words for proof). But the ultimate meaning is in her head.

http://www.iamsza.com/

No comments: