Sunday, July 1, 2012

BEAUTY: Clothing--Comme des Garçons

Rei Kawakubo's mind would be a fascinating place to visit. Her Comme des Garçons collections always feel effortlessly esoteric, as if the machinations of her brain are naturally obscure and thus hard to follow for us normal folk. I feel the same way when I listen to the mind-boggling multi-media artist Matthew Barney speak. Oh, I understand what he is saying, what he means, and how he got there. It's just that I would never have gone down that road.

This Spring Summer 13 collection entitled "Poor King" is just like a Matthew Barney exhibit. I get it, but I am not sure I can explain it...

These poor kings, all of them with carrot-orange hair and sporting studded leather headbands as a sort of nonchalant crown, wore pajamas under bathrobes that were really variations on a classic coat, including a motorcycle jacket stretched into a trench and fashioned from terry!

What does it all mean? Just like a film by Matthew Barney, you'll get more out of it if you look at it out of the corner of your eye rather than head on. The connections are subliminal. Let them be there.


http://www.comme-des-garcons.com/

No comments: