Monday, March 26, 2012

BEAUTY: Man--Billy Hartman a.k.a. GBH

Back in the late 70s and early 80s, I used to stay up late on the weekend, since it was not a school night, to watch all the rock and roll TV shows like "The Midnight Special" and "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert." One of the odd ones was a show from England called "Let's Rock" in the States but in the UK it was called "Oh, Boy" since it was a revival of the original show of the same name from the 1950s.

The show was a revue of 1950s songs by major UK talents like Lulu and Shakin' Stevens. But the highlight--for me--was the host, GBH, as he called himself: Scottish actor and singer Billy Hartman. He was absolutely gorgeous, rivaling James Dean himself. Stunningly handsome... and he could sing too!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So gorgeous-I remember at the end of each show he'd say " This is GBH saying "Be There" . I think this is where I got my love of rock n roll! Wish they'd re run it for us : D

Jeff said...

Glad I found someone else who shares my view of GBH! That pompadour, those eyebrows, those lips... *sigh*

Thanks for reading and commenting!
Best,
JEF

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing. I have been years trying to find out who he was ha ha. I was beginning to wonder if he was a figment of my teenage imagination. Kept getting a punk band called GBH when I tried to find him- then found a listing for Oh Boy this evening and got palpitations ha ha. Again so lovely to have read your page. Thank you very much Jeff.- Gina x

Anonymous said...

Billy Hartman is about to appear in 'Gypsy' at the Savoy Theatre, 28March through 28th November.

Anonymous said...

My introduction to Billy Hartman was in the movie Slaughter High. Immediate crush. It's a fun B movie. Randomly getting online during some downtime at work today to look at what else he's done. I would LOVE to find some episodes of Oh Boy to watch. Also see that he was on a TV Soap called Emmerdale that's on Amazon Prime.
He is dreamy.